In Exodus 5:22-6:12, the Lord gives Moses three great assurances to prepare the way for the Israelites to come up out of Egypt. We would love to have you join us for our study!
CLARIFY THE PIECES
1. List the characters introduced in the narrative. What is their significance and role?
2. Think about what the Pharaoh would have thought about the God of the Hebrews. What would his impression be? What would his calculations be when facing this new voice?
3. What threat did Moses and Aaron face in coming into Pharaoh’s presence?
4. What is the implied threat to Moses and Aaron if they shrink back from doing their duty?
5. How does Pharaoh directly contradict and refuse God’s command?
6. What impact does this have on the people? What is their response?
UNFOLD THE STORY OF REDEMPTION: PHARAOH DENIES FREEDOM, HELP, AND REST TO THE ISRAELITES
• What was the deeper significance of the request to go out and worship the LORD?
• How does God give His people freedom?
• How does He provide help to them?
• How does He give them rest?
• How does the rejection of Moses serve to foreshadow what the Israelites’ response to him would in the coming 40 years? How does it foreshadow the later rejection of the Messiah by the children of Abraham?
TAKE THIS WITH YOU
• How does this description of seeming failure and increased hardship for the Israelites in Egypt serve as a reminder to you about the nature of the Christian life?
• How does knowing this about God’s works of deliverance make you more confident as a believer?