Our Story (in brief)
The history of the Vancouver APC (formerly, the New Westminster Chapel), goes back to 1916 when Rev. Donald Beaton [of the Free Presbyterian Church (FPC), Scotland] was invited by Mr. Hugh Mackay and several other Scottish immigrants to come to Vancouver and conduct services.
In 1922, the Vancouver congregation was formed. Mr. Donald Matheson (a lay missionary) and Mr. Hugh Mackay (elder) sustained the congregation and took the services (1922-1928). Between 1922 and 1952, pulpit supply and other ministerial functions were provided by ministers from Scotland.
In 1952, the Rev. Dr. MacDonald arrived in Vancouver after having served as a medical missionary for years in Zimbabwe. He ministered in Vancouver until 1970.
In 1975, Rev. Douglas Beattie came from Scotland to take up his pastoral charge in Vancouver the Lord blessed his lengthy ministry among us. He served our congregation until 2002 while also being active as a teacher and professor of Greek in several training centres in the region.
From 2002-2006, Rev. Jerold Lewis served as our pastor and he was succeeded by Rev. Fletcher Matandika who served from 2008-2016.
Our current pastor, Rev. Norman Van Eeden Petersman, began his ministry among us in 2017.
Our History in The Associated Presbyterian Churches
Our congregation left the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland in 1989 in order to join the newly-formed Associated Presbyterian Churches of Scotland. We did so on account of our grave concerns about the actions the FPC had taken which we believed to be infringements of the Christian liberty which Christ has secured for His people. Since then, the APC has continued to provide care and oversight to our congregation.
It was at this time that we moved from our long-time church home on Fraser St. and Kingsway. This building was constructed by members of the congregation and it was a sad day when it was sold to become an art gallery and artists residence.
Since then, we've rented buildings for worship services in Vancouver and New Westminster, BC and we took on the name "New Westminster Chapel" for a time while we met in New Westminster.
Recently, we returned to the city of Vancouver and we gather for worship at Cityview Church. It is a blessing to be able to meet in a building that meets our needs and gives us the opportunity for outreach and service in the city.