We want you to join us to hear the good news found in God's Word and to learn what it means to be right with God!
What to Expect When You Visit Us
1. The first thing you'll experience is a warm welcome from our congregants - being a small church, we are thrilled whenever someone comes to visit. We pray often that you would join us which makes it exciting when our prayers are answered and new people show up!
2. Likely the second thing that you'll notice is the times of quiet and stillness - our service is conducted in a very simple style and it is unaccompanied by musical instruments (a longstanding practice of Presbyterian churches that has become quite rare today - a follow up blog post will explain this more fully). Whatever your first reaction might be to this, we would encourage you to experience this stillness as a call to reverent worship and not to think of it is as the absence of sounds. We live in a world cluttered with a cacophony of noises - surely you've noticed this - and our times of public worship together are made more profound through their simple clarity and times of stillness. We want you to hear the voice of God in His Holy Word and to meditate on the impact that the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ has on you.
3. The third thing that we hope you'll notice is that the worship service follows the form of a dialogue. Now, this requires some explanation because most of the time when we hear of a dialogue we assume it is between us and another person. But in our worship services, we are in a dialogue with our Holy God. He speaks to us in His Holy Word and we respond to Him with our singing of the Psalms, our praying together in prayers of confession and supplication, and our giving of gifts and offerings to the Lord.
Friendly volunteers are always willing to watch your little ones in our nursery area which is at the back of the church building. Children are most welcome in the service and we are thankful for the life and energy that our little ones have been blessed with by God (even if it means the occasional disruption)
Transit & Parking
Bus: Translink buses run up and down Main Street and King Edward and there are several nearby bus stops that will bring you close to our building.
Skytrain: There is a Canada Line Skytrain stop at Cambie & King Edward that is relatively easy 20 minute walk.
Parking: There is a parking lot next to the church building that is available for your use. You can also park on the neighbouring streets.
4. The fourth thing that we expect you'll notice is that our singing is quite different from what you might be used to if you've been to church services elsewhere. We are a psalm singing congregation which means that we sing the 150 Psalms in a metrical setting (music speak for 'psalms arranged so we can sing them'). This practice arises from the conviction that God has given the Church the Psalms so that they might form the very means by which our praises are brought before God. The Psalms are inspired worship music and they express with immense richness and breadth of expression the emotions and experiences of God's people.
5. The fifth thing that you can expect is a sermon (message) that is faithful to God's Word and chiefly concerned with the explanation and application of God's Holy Word to you and your life. Going back to the truth that our worship service is a dialogue with God, we believe that God uses preaching to communicate His glories and grace to us. We believe that the preaching of God's Word is a life-bringing and life-renewing activity because the Holy Spirit is the One who applies that Holy Word to our hearts. Our pastor and visiting preachers will read from the Bible and then spend 30-45 minutes preaching on that passage.
We recognize that our worship services are unique in ways that you might find strange at first (but we promise it will grow on you if you give it time).